A Marketing Tale

I posted yesterday on how our local story seemed to be heading nationally. Looks like I was right — as if I’m ever not– as here it is on CBS national news¬† as an AP story. (here)
What struck me first about this story — a man, a lobster, and a bag of crab legs– was that it was quite funny yet somehow you ‘get’ where the guy was coming from in an odd way. Maybe it’s my inner foodie.
Nonetheless, why should we not run with this, literally. We’re always debating how to draw people to Amsterdam, how to market the city, how to create public events, how to bolster the local economy. I think I have a seed of an idea: a crab and lobster chase.
The event involves racing with all manners of crabs and lobsters followed by a crab and lobster cookout. I’ve not thought through the racing events but surely some brainstorming would generate some interesting and hysterical ideas. To me this seems like a comedy and economic goldmine if the event would gain traction.
Marketing buzz is difficult to generate; in fact, marketing buzz is highly prized and often highly elusive.  We were just handed some; maybe we should run with it.

1. poledancin says:

Funny idea! I heard on the radio the other day that show hosts are being placed on the island in the river to raise money for United Way. Pretty neat for Amsterdam and I think they are girl hosts.

2. poledancin says:

I would love to help you plan the event. Get in touch w/ me.

3. Ann Peconie says:

Heard the lobster man story was on Jay Leno Tuesday night during his skit, not kidding. Can we find the tape of it?

4. madmirth says:

Yeah, this story is everywhere, except in The Recorder. (?)
    I’m on board the marketing train on this one, too. Sign me up!

5. Recorder Fan says:

madmirth: You have to read the paper to know what’s in (or not in) the paper. The lobster thief story is in the Recorder on Tuesday, January 20th on page 2.

6. madmirth says:

Recorder Fan: Yes, I read it. I read numerous sources online for the news. The recorder “article” you speak of is nothing more than a police blotter notice. Hardly a news article. When out of area papers such as the Gazette, Times Union and Leader Herald are writing full articles on such an event, and it’s mentioned on late night television and overseas news sources, it seems odd the “hometown” paper only prints the police report that was faxed to them. Maybe it’s time the reporters walked a beat, instead of rewriting press releases and going to village meetings.

7. Recorder Fan says:

Madmirth: Three points and then I’m done with this.
    1. No matter what you call it, you said it was not in The Recorder and it was.
    2. An item is news when it’s in the police blotter and it is entertainment when it gets to Jay Leno. That line gets crossed just a little too much these days.
    3. Reporters should walk a beat? That’s just funny. Thanks for the laugh.