How the Common Council Makes Budget & Financial Decisions

A helpful infographic for city residents:

Common Council  Budget & Funding Decision Maker

Common Council
Budget & Funding Decision Maker

1. saildelaware@comcast.net says:

You could not be more on target and it makes everything so very clear with your chart. Met a couple yesterday from the Albany/Amsterdam area who said Amsterdam was beginning to show some improvement but the Chalmers demolition not a good omen; I told them about the art issue on the bridge; they said it would be a further nail in a crumbling community’s recent signs of posittive happenings!!!!

2. Donna Dickerson says:

May I ask who writes this site??

Fair question, but may I ask if you pose the same question to radio talk show callers? Or to print publishers when they print editorials?

• Donna Dickerson says:

Yes I do I have called news papers and asked who wrote a editorial, when call the radio I ask who am I speaking to and if I read something in Print and do not know the Publisher I will write to the book I read it in to get an answer or call. I see no harm n knowing who is writing what they are writing I write my name by all letters to papers and say who I am calling the radio and when I write to a book I write my name with a Thank You and also a Thank You to you Donna L Dickerson

That does not quite answer my question nor accurately describe how talk radio / editorials disclose who is saying what.
          I choose to remain ‘anonymous’ (I’m really not) as a way to point out that this blog is held to a different standard than other commentators on local media. I have yet to hear anyone on local talk radio disclose or ask the identity of a caller regardless of what is being said. Likewise, the oft-repeated ‘I just heard’ or ‘there’s a rumor…’ never cites from exactly whom such claims originate.
          Or in an editorial making political endorsements, exactly who wrote and who decided the said endorsement.
          I will gladly more publicly disclose if the same standard is applied and embraced by our other local media channels.
          Finally, I have written well over a thousand posts on this blog so a reading of what I write should count for more than who I may or may not be in term of the veracity and substance of what I say.

3. Charlie K. says:

Just wanted to point out the reason why editorials do not carry bylines. Editorials are the official stance of a news outlet, and the position is usually decided by an editorial board. One person may write it, but its content is determined by a group. I have had to write editorials from time to time that I disagree with but reflect the majority opinion of a group.

4. Charlie K. says:

5. Donna Dickerson says:

Very true Charlie, but what you write or say you stand behind, correct?? I do also so I guess if people writes something they should be willing to say they wrote it. I was wondering who writes as Flippinamsterdam, to me people should not write what they are not willing to stand up and answer to or use a made up name. Makes them look afraid or writing for someone hiding behind the name. Speak your piece and be open about it don’t hide

• Any thoughts on the info graphic?

• Rogo says:

Becker wont post it but all of a sudden it is not 325000 or nothing grant.mayor could have asked for less. How long ago did Mayor and ecd guy know about this? Guess what hold info crash and burn!!

You’re right Rogo: Becker runs a shoddy site mired in thoughtful, well researched opinion and journalism. Anyone familiar with Becker and his site knows how little credibility and regard for truth he has. Sure, I link to a lot of his posts but it’s really out of pity and it’s also perfectly aligned with my general disregard for truth and substance. Great comment! 🙂

6. Donna Dickerson says:

• Any thoughts on the info graphic?

• Rogo says:

7. Tim Becker says:

You should not expect a comment in which you insult the moderator to get posted.

8. Tim Becker says:

9. wildthane says:

We cannot really afford to ask for less. The four elements must be allocated for in the very near future or not be incorporated at all, at least not without greatly increased cost in the future. They must be built into the structure during construction. Rich Leggiero tried to broker a lesser amount thinking that the compromise position at least allowed for some projects to move forward. At least he tried which is more than I can say about his other three republican amigos.

10. wildthane says: